Friday, August 7, 2009

Introduction

I had heard about World Vision a long time ago through Fairfield Methodist when they publicise the 30 hour famine. It was a re-visit of sorts when my nephew, Jerry told me that he and SF each sponsored a child under World Vision.

I went to check the website to find out more and was impressed with their 15 year committment to help a community to be self-sustainable. The flash animation was pretty good and clear :)

Just to rewind a little, in Jan 2008, I had just left teaching at Nanyang Girls' after having spent ten years there to setup the IT initiatives and marketing in the school. I wanted more time to do things that matter to me and also to have a wider role in education in the region :) It is with this in mind that a fellow ex-teacher and myself setup an education consultancy.

On 1 May 2009, my brother, Paul, a lawyer, passed away after battling with cancer for half a year. It was the first close encounter with death for my family and caused us to treasure all the more our Christian heritage and the fact that having God in the equation makes all the difference in the meaning to life.

The poignant reminder when we prayed together as a family on 1 May was that we have the hope that one day we will re-unite with him in heaven and this is a REALITY :)

God in his wisdom has led me to have a more flexible working hours and that has enabled me to spend a lot more time with my brother during the crucial last month in April 09.

My brother Paul has always been passionate about orphans, children and I remembered when we visited Xiamen in 2006, he actually read up all about the orphanages in Xiamen.

Perhaps God is using me and my nephew Jerry to carry out his wishes? I really dunno :) But nevertheless, it made me not take for granted that I'd have time to do things that I want and to learn to give time to people.

Ever since I left teaching, I have more time for people and to listen to their stories. Perhaps this is the most important :)

In 2008, my sis, a missionary with OMF in Taiwan also passed me two books by Bob Buford about "Halftime" and "Gameplan" - to change your gameplan from success to significance. I remembered I was impressed with him challenging the readers to take on roles that cannot be done by one person but needs a team! ie, to dream big :)

In 2007 I did a Gift of Sight programme with Lions in Laos, bringing with me my nephew Sam and niece Adela.

Running casually has always been part of me. However, I was always too lazy to sign up for organised runs. In 2008, I decided that since I am going to run, I might as well not run for free! I was a bit late for the signup for the Standard chartered run for charity. Thankfully a couple of emails later, there were funds from willing donors :) I am thankful for these generous friends of mine:) I remembered the first time I ran at Terry Fox run.... it was cos my friends told me there was FOC food at the end of the run *grin


Fast forward to June 2009, I made an appointment to see James about how to work closer with World Vision. He passed me a book by Richard Stearns, on "What does God expect of us? The Hole in our Gospel" and I read it within two days!

I was impressed with how the World Vision chose their top guy for the job. His very frank and honest sharing also touched me and cause me to re-examine my own claims on how I choose to view the world!

In 2009, it was the first time I celebrated my birthday with my 12yrs old nephew, Hudson, more to bring some cheer to my family after my brother's death and as an after thought to dedicate our "ang pows" to help the people at Cambodia, for indeed we do not lack anything.

So why Lions, World Vision or Standard chartered? It is probably cos they help all people ...and I guess I like to go with the line that we give unconditionally - love in the Bible is Agape..

I guess from the write-up so far, u will realise I am no saint :) Most of the time, my aim is not entirely so "noble" but each time God gently reminds me of the "others" out there!

There are so many unscrupulous people who used charity for their own purposes...whatever it is...I guess my own thinking is that I'd do my due homework on the charity as far as possible. Good governance and transparency are afterall, important parts of any charity.

Like the Samaritan in the biblical story, I have to learn to be "inconvenienced" and to give time and effort to things that have eternal impact.

For me, being a Christian means two things : Loving God and loving men.
As one who is secure in God's love and provision, it is now my turn to share this gift (either tangible or intangible) with others who may not have this opportunity to have this experience.

I have always felt it to be "terok" to be born into a Christian family with pastors, missionaries amongst your siblings and cousins. I guess I can now wisely say that it is a privilege and God in his grace has made his love very evident in our family. To God be the glory :)

No comments:

Post a Comment